Jenn's Reverie

Monday, July 05, 2004

Happy 4th of July!

Um, woohoo? Or not really. I'm here at work. How fun can that be? I wish I was with my booboos :o(. He's with the "sperm donor." Or as Damian calls him, Dad. This evening when he comes home I'll light the few fireworks we have. Just him and I. It'll be fun. I took him to see Spiderman II. I got yelled at for it too! I kid you not, I had approximately 8 phone calls starting at least 3 days before it came out. All of which the person on the other end was asking if they could take Damian to see Spiderman. I told everyone yes! Hey, first come fist serve. Mariah and Adam called and said, "let's go now." So off we went. You can stop yelling at me now. Although I am sorry to my brother and sister-n-law (to be) because I had promised them since like a month ago. So you're wondering why everyone wants to take Damian? Well, as you may have it, Damian IS a real life Spiderman. And don't you try telling him different! Really, he can climb the walls in any house. I'll be walking out of the room down the hall way and I see something at the very top of the door way, guess who? Yup, Damian's little head sticking out, "hey mom!" He straddles the door way, both arms and feet and up he goes. He also holds on to the frame/trim around a door and up he goes. Now that one looks hard, but he does it with ease. Sometimes he straddles the hall way and we walk under him. It's too cute. The first time anyone sees him the initial reaction is lifted eyebrows and the "whoa" opened mouth. Damian's newest thing is head stands. He watches TV that way and I think at times meditates in that position. He starts kindergarten too! I think I'm gonna cry :(. I remember when I was little all my family or my parents friends saying, "they grow so fast!" I use to hate that. But wow how true it is when you have your own! I'm dumbfounded at the fact that he'll be 6 this year! Dude! Where did the other 5 years go?! I know, I know! I'm just getting started and blah blah. But hey, I can't wait to see my baby grow up and yet I never want him to. He says he wants to be this age forever. Smart little guy eh. Damian doesn't care to much for change. He understands it well and would rather have things stay as they are. Mostly family. He understands what death is. We lost my grandpa almost a year ago. And every now and then, out-of-the-blue Damian say's, "I miss my Grandpa Flores." Or when he passes a church he is reminded of him. I didn't take Damian to his funeral. I didn't know how he'd be. My nieces went, but I don't think they understood what was going on. The rest of my family said that Damian was too smart and he'd understand and would probably have a hard time with it. I agreed so I didn't take him. Sometimes I think I made the wrong choice. And other times I think I made the right one. Speaking of him being smart, his pre-school teacher said that she was going to write of letter recommending that he be tested for a gifted student. She said he is well above average and feels that he'll need a challenge. A couple of other teachers argued that he is too young. But the teachers who have had the pleasure of working with Damian say that he's capable of it all. When given the end of year test for pre-school children, he passed it with flying colors. The test consist of counting from 0-10, he counted to 150 when he finally got tired and asked the teacher if he could stop. It has the basic shapes, square, circle, triangle and rectangle. He threw in a diamond and an octagon. He said his ABC's without skipping any as well as annunciating them all appropriately. He is also able to determine upper-case and lower-case letters in the alphabet. The test for upper-case and lower-case is given to the first through fifth graders. And probably the one thing that made me so very happy and proud, he helped the kids not in his class and older with disabilities. He taught them how to play checkers. He helped with their hand eye coordination and also helps them say words appropriately. He did all this during times when he could have been at recess. I'm totally ecstatic that my child is a brain. It's hard though. He gets bored easily. The only toys he really cares for have to challenge him. For example, puzzles and TransFormers. Though he masters the TransFormers the same day. He doesn't care for movies much. He likes only animated stuff. Other then Spiderman of course! He's leaving for Ruidoso with my mom on Tuesday. He'll be gone 'til Friday. I hate it when he's gone that long :o(. But I can't go, I have to work. And Damian told Auntie Marylyn, "I'm anxious to go." So I wouldn't want to stop him. Not that I would. It just gets hard by about the 3rd day. Well, for being a single mother I'd like to say that I've done a good job. Well, my mom has too. She and I have raised him right! September 15, Damian's date of birth. He is my proof of my independence!
Until we meet again. . .

He get it from his momma!


posted by Jenn Doll at 7:19 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home