Jenn's Reverie

Sunday, July 04, 2004

Misconception

I guess all my talk about Angelo is giving people the wrong impression. It seems that it's thought that I'm "so into Angelo." Not only by the anonymous comment, but also by others that have told me something of the same sort. Well, I don't see why people jump to conclusions. It bewilders me how just because I speak of someone of the opposite sex, automatically that means I want or like him. That's just foul guys. Those that REALLY know me, know that since 9th grade my best and closest friends have been of the opposite sex. And to this day, it still works that way in my world. Most other guys say, well even if they are just friends they've wanted me at some point. Well that may be and maybe even vise versa, but doesn't mean that a platonic relationship can't exist. Let me tell you who Angelo is. Okay, my dad passed away it's been about 11 years now. My dad was old fashioned and he worked while mom stayed home and raised us three kids. My two brothers and myself. Anyhow, when he passed away my mom wasn't working and we couldn't pay for where we lived so we had to move in with my grandparents. There was seven of us living in this one house. Well, my mom went to school and got her GED and then she eventually became an education assistant (EA) in elementary schools. So our first place was an apartment. A very small apartment complex. Nice and cozy, we also had good neighbors. Angelo being one of them. Well during this time, both my brothers were having a hard time dealing with the death of my father. As were we all. Though we all dealt differently. My oldest brother went through a very bad depression, which in fact he still does to this day. I would keep to myself for the most part. Although, I didn't have a problem talking about it nor did my oldest brother. Well my second oldest brother, the middle child, didn't express any feelings. So it kind of had us worried. We knew that he was just a bomb waiting to explode. Which eventually happened. Anyhow, Angelo seemed to bring something out in him during these rough years without a father. He was a friend that my brother could yell at and Angelo never took it personal. My brother has a macho man attitude. Which in fact is just who he is. He can be an ass, but all in all he's a really good person. I think a lot of this results back to having to be without his father at the age of just 13. The age that I think is important for a boy to have his father and or a father figure. Well Angelo became a close friend of my brother at that time. And I'm sure it wasn't easy for him, but he stood by my brother through thick and thin. And even through all the chaos I'm sure my brother put him through, still he was there. When my brother became rebellious and wanted to move out, Angelo took him in. Angelo helped Eddie so much. Angelo also lived with us for a while. I don't remember exactly how long, but it was quite some time. I honestly believe that my brother would have gotten into some kind of mess if Angelo weren't there with him. Other then his girlfriend, Angelo is the only person I've known that my brother has ever confided in. Any of us can dot that with Angelo. He has a good ear. My family came to love Angelo as one of us. Sometimes I think that maybe my mom and grandparents like him more then us! Haha, it wouldn't be so bad, it is Angelo. So for those that ask, "who's Angelo?" I say he's family. I use to say he's "like" family. But the word "like" is irrelevant to my family and I. Just to throw in a little extra, not that he needs it, Angelo has also helped raise his brother, who has mental retardation. He'd do anything for his family. Which means myself and my family as well. The only bad part is some use to use him as a door mat. Well that was then, he's learned his lesson now. He no longer just lets people walk all over him. Anyhow, so he's basically a third brother to me. He saw what I went through with my son's father and was there for a lot of it. He's grown up with us as we have with him. I'd like to think he was meant to be in my brother's life to help him through things. Even to this day. Grandma always said that Angelo and I should be together. She always asks, "Jenn, when are you gonna marry Angelo?" Both of my brothers love him. And mom and grandma and grandpa. As do I. So when someone does Angelo wrong as Keri did, after all the good he brought to her, it pisses me off. As it does anyone who knows him. Well anyhow, Angelo went off and joined the Marine Cor. now he's in Iraq. We're all worried about him. Since he's been out there I've pretty much been his main contact. My brother doesn't like to write and just has me write what it is he needs to say. Angelo doesn't always make contact when he tries to call my brother. He knows I always have my phone with me and I get the messages passed. I'm also the only one that writes him. I heard a letter for someone fighting a war is a jewel for them. So I try when I can. I have never met his mom, he does keep contact with her as well. She and I have become to know and like each other during this time. We call each other and keep each other updated. I mean hey, one of our family members is out there. So when you finally get to have someone in your life that's not family by blood but by love, then maybe you'll know what it is I'm talking about. Especially, when everyday you wake up wondering if they're okay because they're fighting a war. Which in any case, many of you will not experience. Also, if you can't accept the fact that there REALLY are platonic relationships, well then hey, I think you might be missing out on the best of the best friend you may ever have had. Just ask JuanCarlos, Paul, Elias, Chris, or Angelo! They'll all tell you that it's possible. So for those of you that have had this misconception, a word of advice, think twice. But I will give you this. . .maybe you're thinking that I should date Angelo for a reason!
Until next time...

Don't jump to conclusion's, it'll get you no where!

posted by Jenn Doll at 8:56 AM

1 Comments:

Platonic perhaps, but there must be a reason that more than one person would say the same thing. Could it be possible that we "see" something you don't?

I think it's lovely that he's become such a big part of your (and your family's) life. It's always nice to have someone you can rely on through anything that this unpredicable life can throw.

Misconception, maybe. Misinterpretation, yes. Now, we stand corrected there should be no more problems.

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home