Jenn's Reverie

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Read It, Heard It, You Should Too
So, I haven't much to blog about. I've not done an asinine post in a while. That's probably due to the fact that I've actually been sleeping and haven't got that good ol' delirium kick going. Maybe soon. I've been doing pretty much nothing in my old age. I've been reading ALOT. More in this
past year than all other times put together. Books I've read in this past year include: Stolen Lives - Malika Oufkir, Reasonable Doubt (True Crimes) - Steve Vogel, The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown, The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold, To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee, Don't Try This At Home - Dave Navarro & Neil Straus. I JUST started reading The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver. Thanks to Katie I've read some kickass books. She's recommended 4 of the 7. Nerds are good to ask for recommendations on a good read. I have two more she recommended. I think I'll read one of the two, but the other just didn't sound appealing. Katie - "Which one?!" She's Come Undone, Katie. It didn't sound too great to me. Don't yell. You've been right on it with the others. And so far this one is good. I think I should recommend a book to you in return for your kindness. Check out The Little Engine That Could. It's a short read but I think you'll like it. And you don't have to thank me.
Other than books I've been all about the music, music, music! I ordered 7 CD's last week, in which the freakin' order hasn't even processed. Thanks, Bill. Yeah, I know. You've been right before, but dude! This is starting to piss me off! Anyhow, WHEN and IF the order processes I should be getting, Dave Navarro - Trust No One, Soundtrack- Gardenstate (haven't even seen it yet), Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual (mine seems to be MIA), Minnie Ripperton - Greatest Hits (Gold Edition) or something like that, Massive Attack - Mezzanine, and there's a 7th but I'm drawing a blank. Oh wait! I remember the 7th is Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion II. Or maybe it was I. Which ever one has "Don't Cry." I'm really excited about getting these, but the damn company is sitting on their ass and seem to have something stuck up it. Bill, it was your idea, fix it! Please? I've been on an "oldie" kick. Like straight up 60's and 70's. Like when they were all named "The" something. Listening to lots of The Beatles, some Ottis Redding, Brenton Wood, Etta James, Aaron Neville, Smokey Robinson, James Brown, The Four Tops, The Temprees, The Miracles, The Capris, The Shirelles, Garland Green, The O'Jays, Don Julian & The Larks, Gene Chandler,The Delfonics, James & Bobby Purify, Little Richard, The Rolling Stones, of course Elvis and tons more. I could go on and on. Man I love this shit. My dad used to play it all day, every day. "These Oldies but Goodies (remind me of you)" That totally fits when I hear all of this and it reminds me of my dad. Same goes for my brother's and mom. I never realized 'til recently that my dad had kickass taste in music. He knew what was up! He taught me well.
posted by Jenn Doll at 5:39 AM

10 Comments:

Both Use Your Illusions have Don't Cry on them....however the 2nd one which you ordered has the Alternate Lyrics on it. Both kickass. Either or you should get UY1 too. I got my cd's already but I'm already a member and you're not cool like me.

2:25 PM  

I was thinking 'damn is there another navarro album' but I think you meant 'Trust No One' You gotta trust a man sometime :P

MA's Mezzanine is my fave. Though there are those that would say Blue Lines is better but I love the darker grooves on Mezzanine.

FYI - Peter Jackson is making Lovely Bones into a movie. He bought the right to it with his own money (not that he's short of it theses days but I ain't haiting, good on him.)

Is The Da Vinci Code any good? I'm not sure if I want to read it since it's so popular. Don't you just love To Kill a Mockingbird? I put it in my top ten.

10:18 PM  

Damnit! I make one mistake and I'm gonna get shit for it. It's DAVE NAVARRO - TRUST NO ONE! One NOT Man. Don't shoot me. I nowhere in there acted like I was his biggest fan or anything. So kiss my rear. I do love the man and what he represents. If I was such a big fan, don't you think I'd already own the CD? And I will know lots more about him. I know quite some now, so bleh! Stell, this isn't for you but Mr. Anonymous butthole on my TagBoard. Whom ever you are, I still love you. But did you have to be like, "and you call yourself a fan?" Geez, cut me some slack here. And I only mentioned 6 CD's anyhow. The 7th is/was The Killers - Hot Fuss. Did I get THAT one right?! Punks.

11:42 PM  

Good lord lady, every damn post is about the new music you bought. You're a fanatic. The newest cd I got was on Saturday, Blue by Joni Mitchell, but I have yet to listen to it of course.

Good choice with The Poisonwood Bible. If you like that one when you're done, there's a couple other Barbara Kingsolver books you might like too, so let me know. And really, you might like She's Come Undone, I probably didn't explain it right. But go ahead and judge a book by it's cover. I can't yell at you for that, I do it all the time. Now I'm excited about The Lovely Bones movie being made. I can only imagine how much I would cry at the movie, given how much I did while reading it. Goddamn I'm a pansy when it comes to sad books.

Dads have great taste when it comes to music, at least mine and yours. My dad got me into Neil Young, Warren Zevon and took me to my first concert, which was Rick Astley, when I was in kindergarden. Too bad he hates Dylan with a passion. Bastard.

2:45 AM  

Haha, you don't call your dad a bastard, Katie. Haha.

I'm about 100 pages in with The Poisonwood Bible, and so far so good. I just want to get to the dad being an asshole already! I read the review or whatever you call it (what the storie's about. It's on the freakin' tip of my damn tongue. Shit) on the back of She's Come Undone, and it just did me nothing. But I'll be asking for your next recommendation. I have noticed that many of the books you recommended are in Oprah's Book Club. Is that where you get them? Or are you just the shit? I think you're just the shit! The book Stolen Lives I got from her book club. I think you might like it. And it's a true story! It's based outta Morroco too. Since you wanna go there.

Yeah, I'm a fanatic these days. I figure what the hell else would I spend my dough on? Plus, the music makes me happy and it's something I can talk about with you (!) and these other bloggers. I'm sure my dad would have showed me so much more. I was 12 when he passed away, too young to grasp the concept of great music. But yet, The Beatles or Stones and Neil Young, Bob Dylan and SO many more definately remind me of him. Some songs so strong that it takes me back to that time. When he'd play his a-tracks! It gives me chills sometimes. Not only because it's such a great memory, but because I feel like I'm there. Like when you wake up on Christmas morning and it FEELS like Christmas. That's what some songs do for me and the memories of my dad. I can't stop playing The Beatles CD I just got. It rocks. I guess I've been listening to the good stuff since I was just a little girl, I just didn't know it. I hear I'm getting a copy of Let It Be (Naked) too! Woot! I'm excited. They said, "You can't own the shirt without the album." So score there! I definately wanna see if I get me some box sets too. The Stones 40 Licks being one of them. Some David Bowie too. Okay, I'm done going on and on!

3:34 AM  

Stell, I LOVED The Da Vinci Code. I learned some about the Mona Lisa and Da Vinci too. The storyline was kickass. It was full of action and smoked alot of movies! Lots of anticipation and intense at that. What I like.

4:13 AM  

1. Damn girl, You wrote more in your comments on YOUR OWN blog than you wrote in the actual post!

2. You really have to see "Garden State." You will officially be lame until you do.

3. So how does it feel to be lame, lame?

4. But the soundtrack is cool too.

5. You should check out the band Tool. They are my favorite. They rock, kick ass, and all that shit. If you don't like them, you'll be lame even IF you see "Garden State."

6. Aren't I, like, totally cool? Like totally though!!!

:p

4:32 PM  

I just noticed that you linked your blog to mine. You are no longer a lame. You have now been officially updated to 'Supercool' status and anyone calling you lame will be brained with a loaf of bread.
Except me cause I'm 'Supercooler' (And no trying to say your 'Supercoolest'!! Cause I'm 'Supercooler' than 'Supercoolest' anyway :p).

4:36 PM  

Yeah don't hate on me but I'm not diggin' The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Modest Mouse and the like. I just can't get into it.

It's funny, I was reading the blogment Katie made and the guy next door starting playing Dylan. Coincidence? I think not!

Tool are fucking great live. Hands down winner of best live concert for me.

I'm waiting for Garden State to come out on DVD here. I'm all over it when it does.

7:48 PM  

if you liked da vinci code, you should read it's prequel : angels and demons

3:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home