Jenn's Reverie

Monday, August 21, 2006

Let It Be

My son has learned how to play Let It Be by the Beatles on the keyboard. The other day he was practicing while I listened in the living room. When he's playing, it is extremely rare for me to tell him to turn it down. I just let him play. This day he played once and then went at it a second time. As he was about to finish I was walking into his room to tell him that he'd done a great job and was getting really good. When I got into his room, he was already laying on his bed. He must have laid down the very second he hit that last note. He was laying on his back with his arms under his head... and tears falling down his little cheeks. I was deeply moved. Music had moved my son. Good music at that. He's only seven. I grabbed him and hugged him and although he's almost too big to carry, I picked him up and just hugged him. I asked him if the song had made him feel. He said yes. That same day his dog had gotten ran over and of course it was only a week or so when his grandpa passed away. The music ran through his body while he played that day. I couldn't ask for anything more. It was sad... in a beautiful way.

posted by Jenn Doll at 1:02 PM

14 Comments:

It's good to feel all the emotions, even the sad ones. We rob ourselves by only wanting the good emotions in life. What is a high without a low?

~Jef

1:58 PM  

If you feel it, It's music.

4:23 PM  

I pity people who aren't deeply affected by music. It's such a beautiful thing and isn't it amazing that great music will continue to affect people for years and years to come? I love it!

Miss you!

6:10 PM  

That's a GREAT story--it's awesome that he can find joy even after recent events. I guess it shows that kids adjust better to these things than adults do!

-- david

6:32 AM  

I'm sorry to hear that he lost his grandad and his dog so close together. That's an enormous blow for a seven-year-old. But it's really good that he's found an outlet and that it's helping him. I can see why you're proud.

9:25 AM  

sometimes as the "grownups" we discount or minimize the depth of feelings kids have. i imagine it is especially difficult as a young person to deal with the feelings since they have limited experience to go along with a limited vocabulary of expression.
Yay for Day that he has an outlet of sorts, a mom that loves him so well, and an ability to be comforted by both.
So, how will mom react if he decides that bubblegum pop music is what rocks his world?

11:21 AM  

Ghostbusters always breaks me up. I'm sorry I can't type anymore, the tears are making it hard for me to see.

2:42 PM  

Man they are so cute when they are young and then they become teenagers...

8:03 PM  

Its really nice to see what a kind and caring person your son is growing into.

Hes very lucky that he has you for a Mom. Youre doing a great job with him Jenn.

5:08 AM  

WOW! So moving!

Glad you posted again--I was really missing you. :)

6:21 AM  

At least he has an outlet for his saddness and grief...

and a very loving mother.

12:46 PM  

What a lucky kids to have a mother that is soooooo caring and supportive.

4:09 PM  

Music can be a great salve to ease one's pain; it has in my life, and I'm glad it has in your son's life. I'll keep the two of you in my thoughts..

9:03 AM  

Music helps ease my physical and emotional pain always..this was a great post Jenn.

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home