Jenn's Reverie

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

First Day Jitters


Monday was Damian's first day in kindergarten!! No he didn't have the first day jitters, I DID! OH MY GOD! It was so much harder then I thought. Actually, I didn't think I was gonna have any problems. He did go to pre-school last year. He had homework every night, had to wear the uniform and so forth. But man Monday morning on my way home from work I started thinking about it and my eyes watered. I started thinking that he's not a baby anymore. Well, he'll always be my baby, just not a baby. Also that he's going into a part of the world without me. So it made me crazy! I guess it's because I was so happy and sad all at the same time. Happy that he's growing up and he's a big boy. Happy that he's happy, 'cause he's a big boy now! Sad because he's in a sense leaving me. And this little guy isn't afraid to go without mom. That makes me feel happy and sad too. Happy because he's so independent, yet sad because I want him to depend on me. Anyhow, so I got home at about 7:30 and my precious baby boy was still asleep. So I woke him up and reminded him that it was his first day of school. Not that he'd forgotten. He took a quick shower, I got him dressed and ready to go. He's so cute in his little uniform. Mind you, I say little because Damian is small for his age. Most if not all of his class mates are bigger then him. He gets it from his dad! So anyway, I asked him if he wanted me to take him to school or if he wanted to go with my mom (who works there), and he was like, "Nah, I'll go with Grandma. She has to go anyway." So I was feeling like, "but it's your first day?!" He said it didn't matter but said that I should get some sleep since I had worked all night. It seems to be his main concern that I be awake when he gets home from school. He understands that I work graveyard and I sleep during the day. So he wants me to be up when he gets home. And if I'm not up, he's sure to get me up. So he woke me up when he got home. He said his first day was great. I asked him if he'd made new friends. His response was something along the lines of, "no, I already know people." Alrighty then! He didn't have homework, which he had every night last year. Other then his nightly reading anyway. He gets out early all this first week because it's parent teacher conference week so I've been kinda tired. But it's gonna work out great once he's on a regular schedule. He'll be in school 'til almost four so I can sleep. It's like now when he gets home, I'm up with energy. So just these past couple of days we've done more then we had before. Working the day shift was rough on me. I was always too tired for anything when I got home. A lot of the time I'd pass out on the couch. He seems to be just as excited with my new schedule too. I get to put him to sleep before I go in to work and I get to wake him up and get him ready for school. On top of the new found energy I have when he gets home. Before, I wouldn't see him in the mornings. I never got to get him ready for school. I left home for work no later then 6am. So yeah, I'm really excited. I got passed the "my baby's growing up." He made me a poem with his handprint and a heart in the middle of the print. It's called the kissing handprint. It's telling me he's growing up and so forth. It is so cute. His little handprint came out perfect. It reminded us both of when we kiss eachothers hand, when he goes to Dad's for the weekend. He kisses my hand and I close it and save the kiss for later when I miss him. As do I kiss his and he saves it for when he misses me. So that was really cool. His teacher also sent him home with a little baggy and said it was for me. I opened it and inside was a cotton ball, a bag of tea, a tissue and a poem explaining what it was all for. It said something along the lines of. . .Your baby is growing up. Hold the cotton ball to remind you of the softness of his hands. Don't worry he's safe where he is. Wipe away your tears. You'll both be fine. We know he's growing up, but he'll be back home. So make yourself a cup of tea and relax. Those weren't the exact words. But that was the basis of the poem. Cool huh?! I thought it was kickass! Today was his second day. He doesn't like the short days because that means short recess. But he'll get over it. When I met with his teacher she said that she heard he had skills. Naturally, I concurred! She said she'd keep his great little mind spinning. So, I think he's in for a challenge. Which is great, because he needs one. I told her that it's the greatest having a gifted child. I also told her that it's hard because he's always bored. So she said she'd keep him busy. Although the other kids already contribute to that. Well, I'm sure I'll cry next year too. And probably when he starts junior high and high school. When he gets his license, when we share our first drink. When I meet his first girlfriend, when he tells me he's moving out. When he gets married and has children of his own. Ooof! That's a lot and a long ways to go. Yay! Well, time does fly, but there's so much more to come with it! Until next time. . .

Life really is good!


posted by Jenn Doll at 2:03 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home